Seasonal flu is a highly infectious illness caused by a flu virus. The virus infects your lungs and upper airways, causing a sudden high temperature and general aches and pains. You could also lose your appetite, feel nauseous and have a dry cough. Symptoms can last for up to a week.
You may be invited for a flu jab if you are:
- are 65 years of age or over
- are pregnant
- have certain medical conditions
- are living in a long-stay residential care home or other long-stay care facility
- receive a carer’s allowance, or you are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill
- or have a serious long-term health condition, including:
- chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma
- chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
- chronic kidney disease
- chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
- chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease
- problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
- a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS
- being seriously overweight (BMI of 40 or above)
- eligible children who are aged 2 and 3 on 31st August 2019 – that is, children born between September 1 2015 and August 31 2017
- Children who are 4 years old are also eligible for flu vaccination provided they were 3 on August 31 2019. These children should be offered the vaccination at their general practice.
- Children in reception class and school years 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 will be offered their vaccination in school. In a couple of areas it might be offered in primary care settings.
Our Flu Clinics can now be booked for:
The vaccines are divided into 2 specific groups – Over 65 years of age (if your 65th birthday is before 31st March 2020 you will need the over 65 vaccination) and Under 65 years of age in an at risk group.
Due to Manufacturing Delivery Times – please remember to confirm with reception staff your age when booking to ensure we book you into the appropriate clinic with stock of your vaccine.
- Saturday 21st September 2019 – over 65’s only
- Saturday 28th September 2019 – over 65’s only
- Saturday 12th October 2019 – Under 65’s and Over 65’s
- Saturday 26th October 2019 – Under 65’s and Over 65’s
The practice is also offering various evening clinic appointments – please ask at reception for specific times.
The Practice is also offering childhood influenza for children aged 2 and 3 during half term when supplies are available.